When cooking, nothing beats the natural way, am I right? My very first attempt in cooking carbonara, I always used to use carbonara powder sauce mix that you can buy in the grocery stores and then mixed it with whatever pasta I have on hand. This is way easier especially for a beginner like me.
Then came a day when I brought my extra carbonara to my friends and then one of them suggested that I try the “natural” way of making my own carbonara sauce. It was not an instant thing but then came a day when I happen to find a YouTube video on how to make an original Italian style of cooking carbonara. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AAdKl1UYZs . On this video, one of the most popular celebrity Italian chef, Antonio Carluccio (one of my most favorite celebrity chefs), only used eggs, parmesan cheese and a bit of pasta water for the sauce. He did not use the typical cream or milk to make the sauce so it was a lot lighter. Without further ado, here is my version of carbonara:
Total prepping and cooking time: 30 minutes
- 500 grams pasta (fettucine, elbow, spaghetti)
- 7 strips of bacon ( cubed) / ¼ guanciale/ ¼ pancetta / 3 packets of shredded salmon (can be bought in Japanese stores)
- 6 whole eggs
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tspn ground black pepper
- 1 big can of button mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 cloves of garlic (minced)
Prepping the Sauce:
- Crack eggs.
- Put a pinch pepper and 1 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Boil water.
- Cook the pasta as stated in the package.
- While cooking the pasta, fry the garlic,meat (bacon or salmon) and mushroom.
- Once meat is cooked, lower the heat.
- Add the cooked pasta.
- Pour the sauce and a cup of pasta water.
- Garnish with pepper,parmesan cheese and/or basil. (add if you have extra meat, bacon or salmon)